CHAPTER HISTORY AND HIGHLIGHTS
The New Connecticut Chapter was incorporated by an Act of Congress on November 4, 1897, with 15 charter members. In 1907, the first regent, Mary Augusta Avery Stockwell recalled the name "New Connecticut" was given to the chapter to remember the day the surveying party led by Moses Cleaveland lined up along Lake Erie by "Conneaught Creek" and gave a federal gun salute of 15 rounds and then gave a 16th round to honor the new state to be founded; "to the name of New Connecticut!" Pictured is the 1803 Marimon Cook House at Century Village Museum, Burton, Ohio. He is the patriot ancestor to four of our members.
FIRST LAKE COUNTY HOSPITAL
In 1902 Lake County's first chartered hospital was formed when the New Connecticut Chapter DAR initiated a drive to provide a hospital in the Painesville area. Just two years later the Painesville Hospital Association opened its doors in the Stephen Matthews residence on Washington Street. This went on to grow into the present Lake County Hospital System.
DEDICATION OF GIRDLED ROAD AND FIRST ENCAMPMENT BY SIMON PERKINS
In 1921, the New Connecticut chapter along with the financial support of the Simon Perkins descendants, dedicated a plaque to the first road surveyed in the Western Reserve of New Connecticut in 1798. The Girdled Road went from the Pennsylvania Line to the Cuyahoga River. A half mile east was where they made camp in the first log cabin erected in Concord Township and where delegates were elected for the then Trumbull County to the Ohio Territorial Legislature and to the Constitutional Convention.
FAIRPORT HARBOR BREAKWATER LIGHTHOUSE
Funds were appropriated for the demolition of the stone lighthouse on the mouth of the Grand River in Fairport Harbor. Through the efforts of the citizens of Fairport, Kasvi Temperance Society, the Council of Willoughby, Ohio, Painesville Kiwanis Club and the New Connecticut Chapter DAR a barrage of appeals was successful to leave the now obsolete lighthouse standing as a symbol of Fairport's nautical past. It is now in the process of restoration.
GENERAL EDWARD PAINE
The county seat of Lake County is named for this soldier of the American Revolution, one of the first permanent settlers. The statue of General Paine at Charter Oak Park on Mentor Avenue in Painesville was erected in 1900 from "practical aid" from the chapter and has an inscribed plaque rededicating it July 21, 1966.
Photos by Margaret Williams